Wednesday, October 28, 2009

IUD removal sparks claim

In what has to be one of the most invasive and ridiculous stories I have read all year (as more and more of these posts seem to be), a Nurse at Presbyterian Medical Services Rio Rancho Family Health Center allegedly yanked out a woman’s IUD (inter-uterine device).

Nurse practitioner Sylvia Olona is alleged to have done this during a procedure to shorten the strings on the device to make it more comfortable. 

According to the plaintiff,

"Olona then stated, 'having the IUD come out was a good thing.' She asked (the plaintiff) if she wanted to hear her 'take' on the situation. Without receiving a response, Defendant Olona stated, 'I personally do not like IUDs. I feel they are a type of abortion. I don't know how you feel about abortion, but I am against them. What the IUD does is take the fertilized egg and pushes it out of the uterus.'

"Defendant Olona stated, 'Everyone in the office always laughs and tells me I pull these out on purpose because I am against them, but it's not true, they accidentally come out when I tug.'

Now, a statement such as this must be taken with a grain of salt as it is simply the allegations of the plaintiff and has not been subject to any sort of judicial treatment.  For the sake of all involved, I hope this was just a tragic accident and was truly a mistake.  If not, there are major issues at stake here, not the least of which is the right for medical treatment to remain separate from any sort of personal views.

[Source: Courthouse News]

No comments: